Friday, September 11, 2009

Pan-a-cakes!



It is a Friday morning, the palm trees are swaying, and I do not have a class until noon-ish, so I thought this morning a fit one indeed for a breakfast-ly treat. A very generous vegan friend of mine recently offered me a bunch of baking ingredients that he wasn't using, and among this fountain of abundance is some Ener-G egg replacer. I've never used it before, and until now when I have tried veganizing things I have used the 1/4 cup of tofu, mashed banana, etc=1 egg substitution method. The egg replacer was easy to use and worked really well with these pancakes. This recipe is flexible and the major ingredients in these can be easily substituted, I just used what I had on hand. These were yummy adorned simply with a drizzling of agave nectar.

  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
  • 3 tsps baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 "egg"
  • 1 1/4 cups + 2 tlbs almond milk
  • 2 tlbs walnut oil
  • 1/4 cup oat bran (hot cereal)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Combine the dry ingredients in a medium to large bowl. Add liquid ingredients, stir just until lumps of flour disappear. Cook over low/medium heat. Stick to your chest with agave nectar and wear as pasties; shimmy.

While mine came out pretty silly looking, were they to come out as uniform rounds, I would say this recipe makes 12 small to medium sized pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment